Friday, October 31, 2014

Book Review: Seconds Before Sunrise by Shannon A. Thompson


Seconds Before Sunrise, by Shannon A. Thompson
2014, 277p, YA Paranormal Romance
My Rating=5 Stars
Source: Received a copy from the author for an honest review



Two nightmares. One memory.

“Chaos within destiny. It was the definition of our love.”

Eric has weeks before his final battle when he’s in an accident. Forced to face his human side, he knows he can’t survive if he fights alone. But he doesn’t want to surrender, even if he becomes the sacrifice for war.

Jessica’s memory isn’t the only thing she’s lost. Her desire to find her parents is gone and so is her confidence. But when fate leaves nightmares behind, she decides to find the boy she sees in them, even if it risks her sanity.


I really enjoyed the first book, Minutes Before Sunset and was excited to continue reading the series. Go here to learn more about book one and read my review. 

Jessica has lost her memory because it's safer for her to not remember who she is. Like the first book, we get both Jessica's and Eric's points of view. I could feel the pain that Eric is dealing with as he is forced to act like he doesn't care for Jessica and is fine with her dating other guys. Jessica feels like something is off in her life and is having a hard time figuring out what it is. She makes a new friend that helps her and feels like something is off with her old friends. There's a lot of emotion in this book on both sides that really comes through and I feel like I know the characters a lot better now. 

Since this is the second book, I felt like I had more of a grasp of what was going on and the double identities were easier to keep track of.  In the first book, Eric was more absorbed with his life as a descendant and I felt like he was more interested in his human life in this book. He still takes his role seriously, and does plenty of training. I was drawn into this story and felt like I was there with them. I loved the ending and I'm looking forward to seeing where this story will go next!

My only complaint is that I was hoping the human identity of Eric's enemy would be revealed. I think Shannon left enough clues for me to figure it out so I'm excited to read book 3 to see if I'm right! 

Content: Mild swearing, kissing. Clean! 


After I read the first book, I wanted to ask Shannon some questions to get to know her better and learn more about this series:

1. When did you first consider yourself a writer?

I’ve been a writer for as long as I can remember, but - in terms of considering myself a “serious” writer - I think I knew I was one when I was 11, which is when I started to pursue publication seriously. You see, as a kid, I suffered from night terrors and nightmares that were really difficult to differentiate from reality. My mother taught me how to turn them into stories in order to cope. When she suddenly died, I knew I had to chase my passion immediately. Morbid, yes, but the truth nonetheless. So I began to write seriously at 11, and my first novel, November Snow, was surprisingly published when I was 16. I plan on re-releasing it in November of 2015.

2. What inspired you to write The Timely Death Trilogy?

Most of my novels are still inspired by my night terrors or dreams. Unlike most children, I didn’t grow out of them. Just a little explanation, when I wake up, my dreams don’t necessarily go away. I still see them - almost like a vision - and The Timely Death Trilogy is based off of a series of dreams I had between the ages of 14 and 18. During a dark time in my life, a boy would come and visit me to just chat. I actually shared more details about this, including an excerpt from my actual diary, on my website here: http://shannonathompson.com/2013/11/15/my-dream-goodreads-extras/.

3. When is the final book scheduled to be released?

AEC Stellar Publishing, Inc. is hoping to release Death Before Daylight in January of 2015. I’m currently 50% of the way through the content edit.

4. What was your favorite scene to write (in either book one or two) and why?

Oh! That’s so hard. Um. I love the bat scene in book one, which I talked about on Ky Grabowski’s blog. (http://kygrabowski.wordpress.com/2013/10/09/guest-minutes-before-sunset-favorite-scene-→-shannon-a-thompson/) But my favorite scene to write in Seconds Before Sunrise, book 2, was a combination of two chapters - (SPOILER ALERT) - Between Eric’s car wreck and the drunk mishap that Jessica finds herself in, I - as sick as it sounds - enjoyed watching how they overcome their struggles in their human forms.

5. What are some of your favorite books and what book are you reading now?

I have so many favorite books, but Meg Cabot has always been one of my favorite authors. Cassandra Clare is up there, too. But I also spend a lot of time reading memoirs and poetry, including Billy Collins and Erin Moure. I’m currently reading a memoir called “Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake” by Anna Quindlen. It was a birthday gift, and I’m quite enjoying it.

6. What do you like to do when you're not writing?

I’m a crazy coffee addict, so venturing through book stores with a coffee is my favorite pastime, but I’ve been known to take trips without much notice. I moved around a lot as a kid, so staying in one place is strange for me, so I love traveling whenever I can. If I have to stay home, I love watching old Humphrey Bogart movies with my cat, Bogart. True story.

7. Do you have any advice for aspiring authors?

My personal manta is “write with passion; succeed with self-discipline.” Basically, always remember how much you love writing and allow that love to push you forward and through the other things you don’t love (like marketing) and you should be fine.

8. Is there anything that you would like to say to your readers and fans?

You are the pen in my hands. Without you, I could not share my words with the world. Thank you for supporting me as I continue the writing journey. I look forward to our future journeys as we venture off together.

Thank you so much, Shannon! It's been fun getting to know you and learning more about your passion for writing. I'm a fan and look forward to reading more from you in the future!

Shannon A. Thompson is a 23-year-old author, avid reader, and a habitual chatterbox. She was merely 16 when she was first published, and a lot has happened since then. Thompson’s work has appeared in numerous poetry collections and anthologies, including a Norwegian magazine, and her first installment of The Timely Death Trilogy, Minutes Before Sunset, became Goodreads Book of the Month. The sequel, Seconds Before Sunrise, has released, and AEC Stellar Publishing released her latest novel, Take Me Tomorrow, on July 17, 2014.

She graduated from the University of Kansas with a bachelor’s degree in English with an emphasis on creative writing.

Shannon spends her free time writing, but she loves spending time with her father and brother. She also has one black cat named after her favorite actor, Humphrey Bogart.



1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for reading Seconds Before Sunrise! It was lovely speaking with you.
~SAT

Post a Comment