Friday, June 6, 2014

Book Review: The Lincoln Hypothesis by Timothy Ballard


The Lincoln Hypothesis, by Timothy Ballard
2014, 240p, LDS Non-Fiction
My Rating=5 Stars
Source: Received copy from publisher for an honest review



Abraham Lincoln became the sixteenth US president during a very dark time in America's history. Author Timothy Ballard explores the crucial role that President Lincoln played to bring this nation closer to heaven. Readers will see Lincoln as a man inspired of God who invoked a covenant relationship between America and its maker—not unlike the national covenants invoked by righteous leaders in the Book of Mormon. In addition, The Lincoln Hypothesis reveals documented evidence that Abraham Lincoln did, in fact, check out the Book of Mormon as he struggled with making some of the most critical decisions of his presidency. Did he read it? Did it influence him? Was the Book of Mormon a key factor in Lincoln's success and the healing of a nation?

The author states, "As you read, you will, like a prosecutor reviewing a case, or like a jury determining a verdict, identify valuable pieces of evidence that can be fully substantiated. You will also identify pieces of evidence that cannot. I ask you to consider all the evidence and weight it accordingly. Through this study, many questions regarding the interplay between the restored gospel and the Civil War will be answered. New questions may emerge that will not be so easily answered. Either way, in the end you will find yourself on a most exhilarating investigative journey."

I'm not a historian but the premise of this book is too compelling to not read. As Mr. Ballard states in his introduction, he presents the evidence he's found and it's up to each person individually to come to their own conclusions. I learned a lot while reading this book. Some stories I had heard but most of them were new to me. It makes sense that something significant had to happen for the church to start experiencing growth and the heavy persecution to end. I like the way he presented his case and there is a lot to digest. I have always loved Abraham Lincoln and, after reading this book, I feel an even deeper love for him and the sacrifices he made for freedom. I'm still processing what I've read so don't have much to say except buy it and read it!!

You can read chapter 1 here.

I've been impressed with Tim Ballard for quite a while and have heard him interviewed numerous times. If you're not familiar with the work that Tim Ballard does with Operation Underground Railroad, you can learn more about it here. This organization rescues kidnapped children from slavery. It's a fairly new organization and they are already making an impact on the lives of many children and their families.

 

TIMOTHY BALLARD graduated cum laude from Brigham Young University in Spanish and political science, then went on to receive and MA (summa cum laude) in international politics from the Monterey Institute of International Studies. Tim has worked for the Central Intelligence Agency as well as an agent for the Department of Homeland Security. He is also the author of The American Covenant: One Nation under God. He lives in Southern California with his wife and six children.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE President Lincoln!!! I have a quote of his in vinyl on my kitchen wall that is one I my favorite sayings! It says "Whatever you are, be a good one". He was so inspirational! Thanks! I will Definately be looking into this one :)

Post a Comment