Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Forgotten Garden

One of my favorite books last year was The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton. Here's my Goodreads review on it:

WOW!! This is my new book that I am recommending to everyone! I couldn't read this book fast enough yet never wanted it to end.

From the Amazon book description: A tiny girl is abandoned on a ship headed for Australia in 1913. She arrives completely alone with nothing but a small suitcase containing a few clothes and a single book -- a beautiful volume of fairy tales. She is taken in by the dockmaster and his wife and raised as their own. On her twenty-first birthday they tell her the truth, and with her sense of self shattered and with very little to go on, "Nell" sets out on a journey to England to try to trace her story, to find her real identity. Her quest leads her to Blackhurst Manor on the Cornish coast and the secrets of the doomed Mountrachet family. But it is not until her granddaughter, Cassandra, takes up the search after Nell's death that all the pieces of the puzzle are assembled. At Cliff Cottage, on the grounds of Blackhurst Manor, Cassandra discovers the forgotten garden of the book's title and is able to unlock the secrets of the beautiful book of fairy tales.

There are lots of characters and flashbacks and a dysfunctional family. I thought I had it figured out, to find out I was way off, only in the end, to realize I did have it right after all, but felt differently about the characters when more back story was revealed. Storytelling at its finest!


OK, I need to edit this to share my rating. This is a definite 5 star for me! 

 

2 comments:

Jinky said...

Cool ..double twist (you had it, no you didn't, & you had it afterall)!! --Thanks for the recommendation.

Melanie said...

I just realized I forgot to give it stars (I'll get the hang of this thing eventually). Anyway, this was a definite 5 star book for me!

Post a Comment