Friday, March 25, 2016

Book Review: Banished by Kimberley Griffiths Little


Banished, by Kimberley Griffiths Little
2016, 416p, YA Historical Romance
My Rating=5 Stars
Source: Received a copy via Batch of Books for an honest review



She thought she’d lost everything…

After spending months traveling the harsh, unforgiving Mesopotamian desert, Jayden reunites with a broken, injured Kadesh. Although everyone was convinced the violent and unpredictable Horeb, Jayden’s betrothed, killed the handsome prince, Jayden knew in her heart that her love was alive and safe. But their reunion is short-lived, as they learn Horeb is on their trail and determined to take back the girl he has claimed. Soon, the two star-crossed lovers are on the run toward Sariba, Kadesh’s homeland, where, as heir to the kingdom, he plans to make Jayden his princess.

But the trek to Sariba comes with heartache and danger. After narrowly escaping being stoned to death for a crime she didn’t commit, and learning that her sister has disappeared, Jayden’s only solace is her love for Kadesh. But even he is keeping secrets from her…secrets that will change everything.

This gorgeous and enchanting sequel to Forbidden is fraught with love, danger, and heated passion that will leave readers breathless.


This book picks up right where the first book, Forbidden, left off (you can learn more about it and read my review here). Jayden hears rumors that Kadesh might be alive so she sets out to find him. When she does, she's happy to see him and learns the extent of his injuries. They determine that they need to head to Kadesh's homeland, Sariba, right away. Jayden wants to make a quick stop before they do, which could end in disaster.

Like the first book, this is full of heart-pounding action. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time I was reading it. Jayden and Kadesh don't have it easy. Their love is tested over and over and their lives are constantly in danger. They had a few small moments of peace, which I thoroughly enjoyed. We learn more about Kadesh in this book and the truth about Sariba.

Jayden has way more spunk than I do. She is constantly making decisions that aren't safe but which she feels passionately about. Sometimes there are tough consequences to those decisions. Kadesh is a little different in this book but is still lovable and kind. They're together through most of the book. I enjoyed their conversations and watching their relationship develop even further. We knew Kadesh was keeping secrets from her and it was good to finally have everything out in the open so Jayden knows what she's dealing with.

I loved the first book in this series and loved this one, too! There are new characters and situations introduced which move the story along. Once I picked this book up, it was tough to put down. I love Jayden and Kadesh! There is violence (some of which is graphic) and talk of prostitution (no details). The ending perfectly sets up the third book, which I'm already anxious to read!


When I was a kid I read a book a day, scribbled stories, and dreamed about having my very own book on the library shelf. I grew up in San Francisco, but now live in an adobe house on the banks of the Rio Grande with my big, messy family. I think I've drunk so much Land of Enchantment water that some of that ancient magic got into my blood and now spurts out my pencil--I mean ergonomic keyboard. I adore anything old and musty with a secret story to tell.

I'm the author of 10 award-winning middle-grade and Young Adult novels with Scholastic and Harpercollins and I make way too many cookies when I'm writing - and I've got the best book trailers in the universe. Check them out here: www.kimberleygriffithslittle.com. Please find me on Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, and Youtube.

Awards: Southwest Book Award, Whitney Award for Best Youth Novel, Whitney Award Finalist, Association of Mormon Letters of Art Award, Bank Street College Best Books of 2011, 2013, and 2015, Crystal Kite Finalist, New Mexico Book Award Finalist, and Arizona/New Mexico Young Adult Book Award Winner.

0 comments:

Post a Comment