Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Book Review: He Delivered Even Me, He Will Deliver Even You by Misti Stevenson


He Delivered Even Me, He Will Deliver Even You, by Misti Stevenson
2013, 336p, LDS Non-Fiction
My Rating=4 Stars
Source: Received a copy from the publisher for an honest review



Even Me Even You: When I was in the midst of my 23-year trial with OCD, anxiety, and depression, I had little hope to ever be fully healed. I knew of no one who had been. Now that I have been led through my Gethsemane and, with the help of the Savior, am finally healed, I can't keep quiet about it. I was an avid journal writer from a young age, so this book takes those who want to know how to literally be healed of mental and emotional illness on a live-time, emotion-filled journey. Most books on this subject only tell how to deal or cope with mental illness. My experience brings a new idea that mental illness is curable in this life-I am the proof of this happy idea! What I would've given to know of one person who had been healed when I was in the midst of my pain. I wrote my story to inspire others suffering similar challenges-to give them the hope and perspective I wish I had had in the midst of my struggles.

I don't have OCD so I don't understand Misti's trials when it comes to that. However, I certainly have trials of my own and was interested to read how what she learned could apply to my situation.

I was a little mixed on this book. At first, I felt like she was rehashing things over and over and it was hard for me to get through. Then, all of a sudden, I became very interested in what she was saying. I'm honestly not sure if it was a change in me or if the tone of her book changed.

She does put a lot of blame on her mother. I felt that her biggest frustration with her mother was that she didn't ever seem willing to sincerely listen to her or make efforts to change. Her parents were all about appearances and that made it difficult for Misti when she was trying to get help. It's a tough situation that they have hopefully been able to resolve. 

The main point I got out of this book is the effort Misti put into getting better. It became all consuming for a while but she was determined to find answers. I use some of the same tools she learned and, like her, I feel like I'm led to the next thing when I need it. She journaled tons, which is something I know I should do, but just can't seem to find the desire to do it. Those journals helped her write this book. She gets real and is honest and open about what she went through and how she was able to get the answers she was seeking.

I appreciate Misti sharing her journey to find joy in her life. It can't be easy to open yourself up to the scrutiny of others. She shares tools and information that anyone going through a trial will find useful. I'm looking forward to implementing some of what she shared in my own life. This book will especially be useful to anyone going through a trial similar to Misti's who feels like there isn't any hope. Her story shows that there's hope for everyone--you just need to be willing to do the work!





Growing up, I thought I had a pretty normal childhood.  Right up until the sixth grade.  That’s when I began to notice things.  Like how I was constantly aware of every blink of my eyes.  How any normal physical thing could become an enemy that my brain would replay over and over again.  I tried talking to my parents about it, but family dysfunction and parental control issues wouldn’t let me see my problem for what it was.  So I did everything I could to hide it.  It would take me many more years to attach a name to my tortuous condition-Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

But, after many more years of struggling, praying, counseling, I experienced the miracle I had been seeking – I was healed.

So I’m done hiding.  This is my story of suffering through and eventually being healed of OCD, anxiety, and depression through the power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ.  This is my story of how the Lord turned my deepest struggles into my greatest blessings.

0 comments:

Post a Comment