Thursday, December 4, 2014

Book Review: Adrenaline Rush by Cindy M. Hogan


Adrenaline Rush, by Cindy M. Hogan
2013, 360p, YA Suspense
My Rating=4 Stars
Source: Received a copy for an honest review



This is a break off series of the Watched series-Enjoy

A madman with a mission is kidnapping groups of thrill-seeking high school seniors across the country, and it’s up to Christy to stop him.

To do so, she must take on a fearless alter ego and infiltrate a group of adrenaline junkies bent on pushing life to the limit. Death-defying stunts are only the beginning: two groups fit the profile, and Christy must discover the real target before it’s too late.

If she chooses the wrong group, more people will disappear. But choosing right puts her as the prime target—with no guarantee that she’ll get out alive.

Young Adults, teens and adults will love this exciting suspenseful adventure with a dash of romance. You won't want to put it down.


I loved the Watched series and am reviewing the second book in this series tomorrow, so I was excited to see this book come up for review so I could read it first. I liked how the Watched series ended and the boy she wound up with so I was a little sad to see he's no longer in the picture. It makes sense with her crazy lifestyle and it's clear that she's moving on to a new love interest, but it still made me sad. You don't need to read the Watched series first, but if you want background on Christy and why she's a spy, where her family is, prior love interests, how she meets Jeremy, etc., you will want to read those books prior to starting this series.

This book held my attention from the beginning. Christy is a spy and needs to get kidnapped so they can stop a madman. There are two groups she's looking at. I thought the first one was crazy, but the second group was even crazier. She manages to get kidnapped and the story really picks up at that point. She's put into a bizarre situation, which is quite disturbing at times. And the circus--what an imagination!

Having followed Christy before and seeing mistakes she made, I didn't expect her to be a perfect spy and she wasn't, but she still learns quickly and is able to figure things out. She lets her feelings get in the way a little more than she should, but again, she's young and learning. I like that she's in intense situations but she's had training and has a team that is helping her.

Jeremy is her handler and they're both older now so she's starting to feel differently towards him than she used to. This took time for me to adjust to since I always thought there was a huge age difference between them and didn't suspect this would happen during Watched. I love Jeremy, though, so I'm interested to see where their relationship will head in the future.

I certainly felt an adrenaline rush while reading this book. There were parts where I couldn't breathe because I was so worried about what would happen next. This was different than what I was expecting and there were lots of twists and turns which kept it interesting. I really enjoyed it and look forward to reading more about Christy!


Author Cindy M. Hogan

Cindy M. Hogan graduated with a BA in education and is inspired by the unpredictable teenagers she teaches. More than anything she loves the time she has with her own teenage daughters and wishes she could freeze them at this fun age. If she’s not reading or writing, you’ll find her snuggled up with the love of her life watching a great movie or planning their next party. Most of all, she loves to laugh.
She is the bestselling and award winning author of the Watched trilogy, a YA suspense series with a dash of romance. She has since branched off to write a mystery, Gravediggers, that won Best YA novel of 2013, a contemporary romance, Confessions of a 16-Year-Old Virgin Lips,  and two in a spy series, Adrenaline Rush and  Hotwire.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

YAY! Great review. Cannot wait to read it :)

Post a Comment