Thursday, February 20, 2014

Guest Post/Interview: The Gathering by Randy Lindsay


The Gathering: End's Beginning, by Randy Lindsay
2014, 272p, LDS Fiction



Robert Williams didn't expect an early honorable release from his mission, but upon his return home, he sees the reason for the surprise decision. Unemployment, rampant violence, and frequent food shortages have put the United States on the brink of another civil war. As the threads of society unravel, the Williams family must adapt to drastic changes as the long-foretold gathering begins to take place.


I recently had the opportunity to review this book. I found it to be intense. You can read my review here.

Today, the author, Randy Lindsay, is stopping by to share a Top Ten list and answer some questions!

TEN BEST PHRASES ON THE LAST DAY

I can think of nothing that reveals more about ourselves than the way we face death. Here is a list of the ten best phrases to use on the last day. As you read through them see if any of them hit the mark for you. And if you want, drop by my website and tell me about any you think I missed. http://www.randylindsay.net/

10. Dad, can I have a $1,000 advance on my allowance?

9. I think we still have time for a Firefly marathon.

8. Oh, just bring me one of everything on the menu.

7. Better start working on the express version of my Bucket List.

6. Where did I put that Get Out of the Apocalypse Free card?

5. Are you sure that the end is Today?

4. More chocolate!!!

3. I’ll get to that tomorrow.

2. The End is Here!

1. I love you.

Great list, Randy! I especially love #4 and, of course, #1 is great! The only one I would add is, "I just need time to finish my book!"


Now, for the interview:

1. When did you first consider yourself a writer?
When I made the decision to seriously develop my writing skills. However, I first considered myself an author when I finished my first novel.

2. What inspired you to write The Gathering?
I had finished writing my first novel, a fantasy story, and wanted my next project to be something with substance. I wanted to create a story that had a chance to improve people’s lives. I happened to be sitting in church when the speaker mentioned the importance of families being prepared to face calamity and it hit me that I could write a story that would not only inspire my readers to prepare themselves, but give them courage during a disaster.

3. How many books will there be in this series and when is the next one scheduled to be released?
I have five books planned for this series. I started plotting book two last week and have the goal of finishing it in six months. If everything goes well, it could be out around this time next year.

4. Who is your favorite character to write?
That’s easy, Calvin McCord. He’s a no-nonsense sort of guy and his storyline was the easiest for me to write.

5. Is there anything else about your book that you’d like to share?
Yes. Several of my readers have commented that Calvin’s storyline doesn’t intersect with the others. Don’t worry—it will.

6. What are some of your favorite books and what book are you reading now?
I love post apocalypse stories. Damnation Alley by Roger Zelazny is my all time favorite. Giant lizards, atomic cockroaches, and marauding bike gangs, what could be better? I also love the Retief books by Keith Laumer because they are sooooo funny. Right now I’m reading Martian Time Slip by Phillip K Dick and The Alliance by Gerald N Lund.

7. What do you like to do when you’re not writing?
Go to movies, hang out with my kids, and family history research (both mine and for my friends).

8. If you couldn’t be an author, what would your ideal career be?
Actually, I worked as a game designer for several years. I really like creating board and card games and would be happy to do that. Not as happy as writing though.

9. Do you have any advice for aspiring authors?
Write. Write a lot. Learn about the craft by reading book on writing and attending classes at your local community college. Join a critique group and get feedback from your peers. Then once you get close to finishing a manuscript, attend a few writing conferences. You can also check out my blog and look at the articles on writing that I have archived there.

http://randylindsay.blogspot.com/

Thanks for stopping by, Randy! It was fun getting to know you better. Wow, five books in your series. I'm excited to see where it will go next and wasn't concerned that Calvin's storyline was separate. Now that I know there will be five books, I think there's plenty of time for them to meet up. I'm looking forward to reading book 2!

0 comments:

Post a Comment